Skip to main content

Bullying Does Not Discriminate: Guest Blog

I have always been a tough minded person; tall athletic and a former collegiate wrestler.  I am self sufficient and have used my past life experiences to form the person that I am today.  These characteristics can carry me through many difficulties but when you put those up against other people and the choices they make it can become beyond frustrating.  My occupation is a tug boat operator, a very rough blue color job in many ways.  I was fortunate to have a close friend get me this job years ago when I was in need and I worked very hard to move up in the company, get the promotions and better my own situation.  After 3 years of labor intensive work and 6 months of dedicated studying I finally obtained a license that allowed me to operate a vessel up to 1600 tons.  Boat navigation is quite difficult, there are many factors to consider and developing the skill takes persistence and dedication.  As I was learning to drive I was put with a Captain who was verbally abusive towards me.  Every time I made a miscalculation I was ridiculed and laughed at.  Many offensive remarks from this man were made towards me about racism, sexual orientation, and overall intelligence, as if these factors have anything to do with operating a boat.  The last 2 trainees under his guidance left the company and I believe it was his intention to make me do the same. I was told that I might as well quit because I’ll never be able to figure this out.  This captain eventually refused to let me drive the boat all together and since completing a certain criteria of proficiencies was needed to obtain my next promotion I was now being affected financially which to me felt very personal and unfair.  He told many people in the company that I don’t have the necessary skills and don’t belong behind the wheel of a tug boat.

I eventually finished my training process with another instructor and was subsequently banished to a less desirable boat without explanation, where I remained for an entire year.  I have been told by virtually everyone else within my company that I am sufficiently skilled and have the necessary disposition to be a proficient operator.   For me to bring this issue up publicly to management would be a death sentence for my career as it would be easy for Captain Bully to continue making life difficult on me.  I decided that it was best for me to just keep my distance from him and remain dedicated to my own development.  It was a difficult time for me but I know in my heart I am a resilient person who can deal with situations like this.

As a 35 year old independent man it is hard to consider that a person could be bullied.  I think for most people they don’t recognize a bully when they see one.  The idea of a “bully” is the big kid in the school yard who picks on the smaller quieter kids; the old adage of having sand kicked in your face.  Schoolyard bullying is a prevalent issue in today’s society and needs to be addressed.  One issue however which is rarely discussed is bullying amongst adults.  What bullying really comes down to is that someone who is in a higher standing is taking advantage of those beneath them.  In my opinion this is the vilest quality a human can possess.  I have learned through my perspectives that there is nothing to be gained from being rude to people.  At times it may seem like people deserve your impoliteness but it never accomplishes anything.  Directing that negative energy upon some one that is in some way beneath you is, in my opinion, one of the worst things a human can do.  What it really comes down to with Captain Bully is a lack of intelligence; he would constantly brag about how he could drive the boat so much better than me and that it took me way longer to complete maneuvers than it did him, as if this is any surprise from a man doing it 30 years compared to my 6 months.  I believe that the reason he acted this way is a direct reflection of his own shortcomings.  Belittling those beneath him and bragging about himself is his way of validation, this most likely stems from the fact that he is grossly unhappy and disappointed with his own life and he projects that towards others. 

In my free time off the boat I am actively pursuing the art of stand-up comedy.  I attend nightly open mics around the city and am constantly trying to improve.  Comedy takes a tremendous amount of work and dedication.  Any high level comedian will tell you that it takes up to 10 years to become good and within those years there is a tremendous work.  Comedy is a passion of mine and the only way for me to get where I want to be is to dive in the trenches and start working.
What I found is that the comedy trenches are quite dirty, filled with backstabbing, undermining, lies, and exclusion of others.  It is very difficult to crack into the local comedy community because so many other comics will try to tear you down.  Comedy is all about how long you have been in the game; therefore those with a more longevity will feel entitled to belittle others.  New comedians are often left waiting late into the night just for a 5 minutes spot in front of nobody.  The older comedians will bump their way into lineups and it is just written off as part of the business.  If a new comedians material is dark or off color they are labeled as offensive, when they are just trying to develop their comedy skills and identity.  Social cliques are often formed which make it hard to get on a show unless you are friends with the right people.

Tough obstacles are things that come with the territory in comedy and I can accept those.  One thing that does not fly well with me is when a new comedian is told that they are bad at comedy and that they should quit.  Being a comedian longer than someone else does not make you an authority just a bully.  Comedy is an art form which means its quality is subjective, much like music, visual art and even food.  What one person enjoys may not be the same for others and vice versa.  If a person is a novice at constructing their art and the quality is not good it is still art and in no way should be halted.  Art is a person’s interpretation of the world they live in and is shared for others to gain a perspective.  What is poor quality now can eventually bloom into something that inspires others and in my opinion when you discourage art you are doing the world an injustice. 


I have no background is psychology or sociology so for me to give advice or answers on how to deal with such matters would be out of place.  Should I have spoken up against Captain Bully and defended myself?  Possibly, but it is not in my nature to complain about work.  I am there to learn and get better and have trust in myself and my work ethic to get me through tough situations.  Older comedians can put me down and discourage me all they want but they might as well get used to seeing me around for a long time.  I also know that once I am a Captain and a veteran comedian I will treat others with respect and encourage their growth.  Bullying takes place in many forms and if this is something you may have done to others who are beneath you than you need to stop.  One thing I can say is if humans can recognize this “flaw” in other people they will see that being picked on is not a personal attack towards them but rather a reflection of the bully’s poor character.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledge the Storm, but Celebrate the Rainbow

"It is understood that the beauty of a rainbow does not negate the ravages of the storm; when a rainbow appears, it does not mean that the storm did not happen or that we are not still dealing with its aftermath. It means that something beautiful and full of light has appeared in the midst of the darkness and clouds. Storm clouds may still hover, but the rainbow provides counterbalance or color, energy and hope." *** We didn't know a head ultrasound was on her agenda for the day. But we were used to all the hospital visitors from all different parts of the hospital coming and going, taking the samples they needed from her, not to be seen again. So it wasn't alarming to us they were going to come in for a head ultrasound (U/S). Poor thing was only 7 days old- but it was just one more thing to check off our list. The whole scan lasted about 15 mins in total and that was it. She barely even woke up for it. Easy and done.   It was early morning an

New Website for my Blog!

Hello All! Blog Update: Thank you so much for following along with our journey! As of this week, I am so excited to be using a brand new site to host my blog! I will no longer be actively posting on this site. BUT there is still so much to talk about!! Please continue to follow along at:  www.ItsSimpleBeKind.com Also!! Please feel free to re-subscribe! I wont be able to transfer your email address over unfortunately. I can absolutely assure you, your emails are only being used to keep you up to date with my blog entries! I can't wait for you to see the new site!! Please feel free to comment, like and share! (all new features) See you over there! xo Nicole Zwiercan

Ode to Cristiano

My son is turning one this month! That sentence has yet to completely sink in. I have been watching him walk around our living room these past two weeks, but not like I usually do - not necessarily on alert to shoo him away from the occasional uncovered outlet, or kick him out the utility room to stop him from eating his occasional snack of cat food- but just watching him. Taking it all in. He has his own very busy agenda these days- and it's absolutely amazing to me. There is no way he will ever know the joy he brings to my life, or the powerful love I have for him- that is until he has his own child himself. He'll never know the happiness I feel when he stumbles up to me with his arms open to give me a hug, or when he aggressively gives me one of his open mouth kisses on my cheek. I could literally sit and watch him learn and play all day long. It's so beautiful to me. And please tell me I am not the only one that will sit in the car and let my child finish his nap?? OK.