Skip to main content

My Child is Being Bullied...Now What?? PART 1



Every child has the right to go to school to learn, grow, and flourish in a safe environment. Every parent deserves peace of mind that when they send their child away, they will be looked after, taken care of and respected. Every educator should feel they are equipped with the tools to be a major factor in putting an end to bullying in their classrooms and schools.

Since the beginning of my blogs and videos I’ve received messages weekly from parents, teachers, and children themselves- asking for advice. I, in no way, claim to be an education professional, nor do I claim to know all the answers to the questions with which I am faced. I do, however, know how to help you find them. Some of the common concerns I see repeatedly are “My child is being bullied. I have told the school and they do nothing to stop it.” Or “I am a teacher and I feel we need better policies set in place to help students that are being bullied- I feel like my hands are tied. What are some cheap ways to introduce bully prevention to my classroom?” In this three part blog I hope to answer some of these questions for you!

One thing I want to express to both teachers and parents alike is, just because a policy has been set in place or it’s a policy that has “always been” does not mean it is the right way to deal with things. Educators, if you feel you have a better solution than the ones set in place I really encourage you to get involved. You never know when YOU are the one that will save a life.  We are seeing more and more children younger and younger taking their own lives over being bullied. This is a very serious mental and physical health concern and you are at the front line of the battle. In one of my later blog series I plan to introduce a teacher that has an amazing way to deal with raising awareness in her school- I also have a few ideas too… but let me get back to the main purpose of this blog for now!

OK parents- you have come to the conclusion your child is being targeted. Either they have told you or you are seeing the signs. You are aware of what constitutes being bullied and want know “Now what?”

Three common reactions from parents include:
1. Telling their child to stand up to the bully. 
2. Telling their child “Just ignore them.” 
3. The parents take matters into their own hands. 
More times than not, in a true bullying situation these words of advice sadly will be ineffective. They also imply “hey you’re on your own to deal with this…” and for a child or teen that may be fearful of their bullies this doesn’t do any good. As for the last response – taking the matter into your own hands- it really is better to go through the school first and I’ll share the right way to do this.

It’s important for your child to know they are not alone. That you will be there to help them get through this. They should also know they do not bear the full responsibility to stop the bullying. They should also know NO ONE deserves to be bullied.

 One common thing I see is that the children do not want their parents to get involved. Here is where your parenting skills will be tried. You need to let them know you are on their team, the last thing you want is to make matters worse. Mom and dad you need to keep your word and not lose your cool over these situations no matter how heart breaking they may be.  It’s better to be working behind the scenes. At all costs you must gain your child’s trust. You are his family and are not going anywhere. While you are working behind the scenes encourage self-advocacy in that they speak up for themselves and tell people what they need- even if that’s help.

Another common message I get is, “My son/daughter keeps trying to tell their teacher and they keep saying oh that’s just how middle school kids act – just ignore them.” I think it’s very important that we teach our children how to effectively communicate with adults. Remember, your child is not the only student in the room. These teachers have a lot on their plates. Teach them to speak in a way that will get the teachers attention, something like “Mrs. Jones, I’d really like to talk to you about something that’s really upsetting to me.” Or “ Mr. Smith, I have something important I want to tell you.” If they do not get a fair response, then tell them to talk to another teacher or the principal and to not give up.

So what can YOU do? First things first, as a parent I know our first instinct is for 'mama / daddy bear' to rear its ugly head and start to roar… BUT for the sake of your child you really need to stay calm. Especially when talking to the school. Next- document EVERYTHING! These records can help you keep track of all events when emotions may run high. These records should be FACTUAL and based on ACTUAL events- try to leave opinions out.  I know you may be tempted to refer to the bully with another name besides the one he was given by his mother but try not to! ;)

These records should include:
  • ·         Information/details about the bullying incidents
  • ·         Date/location of the events
  • ·         All people involved
  • ·         Child's account of the event
  • ·         All communication with professionals, as well as the date of these conversations.
  • ·         Responses of professionals
  • ·         Action Taken
  • ·         Reports filed by the school in accordance with their policy or state law.
  • ·         Any pictures of physical evidence or medical reports

It is very important to contact the school with each incident. Don’t be discouraged if they downplay your concerns- remember this is your child and if you are not going to fight for them- who will? BUT I can’t stress enough to try to stay calm!! ( I know, easier said than done.) 
There are letters you can find online that are basically fill in the blank that will help you write to the school. Here is a link to one that PACER’s has come up with. Make sure you keep a copy of these letters too. If it’s not in writing, it does not exist! It may also be more helpful to meet face- to- face. Request a meeting with the teacher and principal. 

It's important to know schools do have a legal responsibility to look in to all matters when it comes to bullying and harassment especially if the incident includes students with disabilities. They are also to provide an immediate and prompt inquiry into the matter and take appropriate action. They are to keep written documents of the investigation. They are to eliminate any unsafe or hostile environment and keep this from reoccurring. 

In part 2 we will talk more about state laws, you and your child's legal rights, and when bullying become harassment.  

Until next time...
"Be Kind. Make a Difference" 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledge the Storm, but Celebrate the Rainbow

"It is understood that the beauty of a rainbow does not negate the ravages of the storm; when a rainbow appears, it does not mean that the storm did not happen or that we are not still dealing with its aftermath. It means that something beautiful and full of light has appeared in the midst of the darkness and clouds. Storm clouds may still hover, but the rainbow provides counterbalance or color, energy and hope." *** We didn't know a head ultrasound was on her agenda for the day. But we were used to all the hospital visitors from all different parts of the hospital coming and going, taking the samples they needed from her, not to be seen again. So it wasn't alarming to us they were going to come in for a head ultrasound (U/S). Poor thing was only 7 days old- but it was just one more thing to check off our list. The whole scan lasted about 15 mins in total and that was it. She barely even woke up for it. Easy and done.   It was early morning an

New Website for my Blog!

Hello All! Blog Update: Thank you so much for following along with our journey! As of this week, I am so excited to be using a brand new site to host my blog! I will no longer be actively posting on this site. BUT there is still so much to talk about!! Please continue to follow along at:  www.ItsSimpleBeKind.com Also!! Please feel free to re-subscribe! I wont be able to transfer your email address over unfortunately. I can absolutely assure you, your emails are only being used to keep you up to date with my blog entries! I can't wait for you to see the new site!! Please feel free to comment, like and share! (all new features) See you over there! xo Nicole Zwiercan

Ode to Cristiano

My son is turning one this month! That sentence has yet to completely sink in. I have been watching him walk around our living room these past two weeks, but not like I usually do - not necessarily on alert to shoo him away from the occasional uncovered outlet, or kick him out the utility room to stop him from eating his occasional snack of cat food- but just watching him. Taking it all in. He has his own very busy agenda these days- and it's absolutely amazing to me. There is no way he will ever know the joy he brings to my life, or the powerful love I have for him- that is until he has his own child himself. He'll never know the happiness I feel when he stumbles up to me with his arms open to give me a hug, or when he aggressively gives me one of his open mouth kisses on my cheek. I could literally sit and watch him learn and play all day long. It's so beautiful to me. And please tell me I am not the only one that will sit in the car and let my child finish his nap?? OK.