Skip to main content

Ode to Cristiano

My son is turning one this month! That sentence has yet to completely sink in. I have been watching him walk around our living room these past two weeks, but not like I usually do - not necessarily on alert to shoo him away from the occasional uncovered outlet, or kick him out the utility room to stop him from eating his occasional snack of cat food- but just watching him. Taking it all in. He has his own very busy agenda these days- and it's absolutely amazing to me. There is no way he will ever know the joy he brings to my life, or the powerful love I have for him- that is until he has his own child himself. He'll never know the happiness I feel when he stumbles up to me with his arms open to give me a hug, or when he aggressively gives me one of his open mouth kisses on my cheek. I could literally sit and watch him learn and play all day long. It's so beautiful to me. And please tell me I am not the only one that will sit in the car and let my child finish his nap?? OK. maybe I'm on my own for that one :) He can evoke so many emotions in a matter of an hour. These days he is a very busy man, sub-novice yogi, cat lover (not-so-much), Turtle Tale lover, "Thomas the Train" connoisseur, book lover, and paper eater. My son eats paper. He doesn't discriminate- it can be toilet paper, tissue paper, wrapping paper, magazine paper, napkins- the list goes on. I'm not sure where in the "List of Milestones" this comes up- but we are there! Prying little chewed up pieces from his chubby little cheeks has been a way of life around here. Let's just say our books have seen better days! 

     I'd like to share a quick story with you. Not only does this perfectly exemplify what our new life has become since the baby has joined our family, but it also shows how a simple act of kindness- from a complete stranger can turn your whole chaotic day around. Just recently, we were heading to a local clothing store, which will remain nameless, because I'd eventually like to go back- one day. He started off with his normal " I'm not getting in that stroller" tantrum but by the time we reached the store's entrance he seemed to be over it. Thank God!! These days I shop like I am on a scavenger hunt game show- grabbing what I can before the timer goes off, cue major melt down, and then mommy loses and has to put everything back- because standing in line to pay peacefully is no longer an option. This day was different - I HAD to get some things done for our upcoming 1 year photo shoot. So I was focused - had my game face on and went into battle. I raced around the store visualizing the color scheme I had picked- grabbed what I could and headed to the check out desk all without a peep! I patted myself on the back for this little victory- only for that to be interrupted by a monstrous line. So to the back of the line we went. We drew closer and closer to that special melt down point- I could feel it. Half way through - it began! We were "those people." I was "that mom." I, in no way, was about to turn around and put all this stuff back so I improvised by providing distractions. All I have to say is thank God for all those racks of impulse buys that barricade you in while you wait in the slowest line ever. We make it to the front and at this time I'm holding him in one arm- pushing the stroller and holding the clothes in another- sweating. They check me out and all I can think of is "Get me out of here!!" "ID please?" Ugh - I put him down to search though my baby bag- and at that point he hits the ground running. Of course. My ID is in the car!!! I explain this to the check-out clerk and I get a blank stare from the "kid" that clearly doesn't have children. Otherwise, I may have gotten something for free out of pity for the scene we were creating. I am told they can't use my card without ID (which I knew), and I will need to go get it and come back. No words. Cue- blank stare. Deep breath. I still was not ready to admit defeat- so I grabbed the baby and the stroller and told them I'd be right back! We literally RAN out of the store and straight to the car. Now, getting to the car meant crossing the whole plaza, getting in an elevator, taking it down to the first floor, and through a parking garage. Still running, I finally reach the car.  I hit the button to open the hatch back so I can throw the stroller in. I stood the baby down on the side of the car, grab my ID, and notice his little hands clenching something- "What is that??" I said to him. He looks up at me and shows me a little white box - OMG!! My son stole a gold watch from the store!! I grab him and immediately start heading back to the store. I'm running so he's laughing- thinking "This is fun!" All the while I'm thinking "I'm going to jail." " They are going to put me in that little room that all stores have, question me, and that's it." "I hope my husband can come get the baby!" I finally get back to the store to see the security guard and store manager looking around the plaza. Ughhh- yep. They were looking for me. I reach the store doors and set the alarm off- again, and by now everyone is staring at us. The baby, with a huge smile on his face, hands over the box to the big security guard. I explain what had happened and I think they could tell I was mortified because they were really understanding. Cristiano clapped his hands for most of the conversation which really helped me out, because they thought he was funny. I, not so much. As embarrassed as I was, they were very kind to me; they were sympathetic and made me feel better about a silly situation. I decided to go ahead and complete my purchase because at this point it couldn't get much worse! So back to the end of the line we went!  The manager noticed us and waved me to the front- she opened up a register just for us and took care of me right away. I thanked her again... She told me "No worries. We've all been there." Such a simple phrase.  Her words put me at ease as I had to walk past the people full of judgement, who had witnessed my circus just moments earlier.  It was such a simple way to show kindness to a complete stranger. 


Comments

  1. So true and so relatable! Thnx for sharing 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was such a cute storey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very relatable with my little one;)

      Delete
    2. Very relatable with my little one;)

      Delete
  3. That was such a cute storey

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledge the Storm, but Celebrate the Rainbow

"It is understood that the beauty of a rainbow does not negate the ravages of the storm; when a rainbow appears, it does not mean that the storm did not happen or that we are not still dealing with its aftermath. It means that something beautiful and full of light has appeared in the midst of the darkness and clouds. Storm clouds may still hover, but the rainbow provides counterbalance or color, energy and hope." *** We didn't know a head ultrasound was on her agenda for the day. But we were used to all the hospital visitors from all different parts of the hospital coming and going, taking the samples they needed from her, not to be seen again. So it wasn't alarming to us they were going to come in for a head ultrasound (U/S). Poor thing was only 7 days old- but it was just one more thing to check off our list. The whole scan lasted about 15 mins in total and that was it. She barely even woke up for it. Easy and done.   It was early morning an

New Website for my Blog!

Hello All! Blog Update: Thank you so much for following along with our journey! As of this week, I am so excited to be using a brand new site to host my blog! I will no longer be actively posting on this site. BUT there is still so much to talk about!! Please continue to follow along at:  www.ItsSimpleBeKind.com Also!! Please feel free to re-subscribe! I wont be able to transfer your email address over unfortunately. I can absolutely assure you, your emails are only being used to keep you up to date with my blog entries! I can't wait for you to see the new site!! Please feel free to comment, like and share! (all new features) See you over there! xo Nicole Zwiercan