Skip to main content

"I'm Sorry"

It’s ok. I know the news can be shocking. 
I know you might not know what to say. 
I know what you must be thinking… only because we thought it too. 
What started out as a letter telling you what NOT to say, turned into a letter about why it’s ok to say exactly how you feel. 
***
I know there are many parents that get offended when you say “I am sorry” for their child’s diagnosis. Me, sometimes, being one of them. Depending on my mood, and if my toddler is cooperating that day. For the most part, I really don’t mind because I can understand where you are coming from. I have seen post after post with directions on things to say to parents of special-needs kids. Posts on things not to say. When to say them. Who to say them to. What color to wear when you talk to them… ok so I haven’t seen that one, but you get the idea.  If I’m going to be completely honest here, I was sorry at first too. I was sorry to hear the news from the doctors.  I was sorry that our little girl spent the first 35 days of her life in a sterile hospital. I was sorry she was being fed from a tube. I was sorry that she had to be a fighter. I was sorry that I thought I was to blame for this happening to her. 
So why can’t you be sorry as well? 
No parent wants to hear another child has been born into less-than-perfect circumstances. I think when we hear something has happened we begin to empathize with them and we put ourselves in their shoes. It’s only natural. So we may say things that would help us. Or we may not even say anything at all. We all cope and process so differently. In cases like getting life-changing news there, unfortunately, is not one response that fits all. There are no rules. And until you are in a situation like this you have no clue how you would handle it. So we can only imagine. And that is why it’s ok to say how you feel.  It’s ok to ask questions. It’s ok to be sorry.
But here’s why you don’t need to be sorry...for long. 
She is alive! She is happy. She is so LOVED. She is thriving and growing and learning! She made it through a very troubled pregnancy when we were told she may not. She made it through that 35 day NICU stay. She survived a choking episode when she was learning how to eat. She made it to today. So now, we wake up and literally celebrate each and every single day. Her being with us is a celebration. She is our princess.  She will progress and she will be ok. More than OK. 

Most importantly, WE are ok. 
So now what happens? Well, physical therapy. And more physical therapy… We plan to take full advantage of this very early diagnosis and try to encourage as much neuroplasticity as possible! That is, we encourage the brain to create new pathways that may have been originally been lost from a brain injury like Cerebral Palsy. Did you know the brain can do that?!? The brain can literally “rewire” itself in certain circumstances. It’s absolutely amazing. Hence, the extensive daily physical therapy. It, of course, doesn’t happen overnight unfortunately.  It will take hard work from Ashlynn -repetition and patience - but it will happen. 
Cerebral Palsy is a blanket term. Each case is as unique as the children and adults who have had this brain injury. It most likely happens while a baby is in the womb, as was Ashlynn’s case. It is the result of damage to the developing brain. There are several possible causes. We have been asked many times if we know what caused this for Ashlynn. The answer? Maybe??  It can manifest as "barely noticeable" to "extreme disability."  It doesn’t progress, but can change. It can effect one arm or leg, to both arms and/ or both legs. And, as I have learned, there is no “look” to CP. Someone with CP may be walking right next to you, down the street, and you would never know!  “But, she looks so normal!”  That's another one of my favorites…It’s ok if you have said that. I think so too ;)
Ashlynn is still very young, so we don’t know exactly where she falls on the CP spectrum. So the plan for now? We put our heads down and work, work, work, work, work! (cue Rihanna). We celebrate the small victories and continue to hope and pray for the big ones! We want nothing more for you all to be a part of that! It’s so much more fun to celebrate than to carry the weight of sorrow. 

So back to what I was saying before…maybe knowing what we know will ease your minds a little bit. And after processing the initial shock of the news, I hope that you see you don’t need to be sorry for her or us. But instead offer your support and encouragement. For us, there is nothing wrong that you can say. We just love to know that you care enough to say something. Trust me when I say I have said enough awkward things in my life to write a book! And for those of you who personally know my husband…. Well…. Lol.  At least he means well! (I'm kidding, Christopher! I love you!) This is a journey and there is no map on how to navigate it. We will all learn as we go, together. So it’s OK to say how you feel and ask the questions you may have. We are here for you, as you have been there for us. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledge the Storm, but Celebrate the Rainbow

"It is understood that the beauty of a rainbow does not negate the ravages of the storm; when a rainbow appears, it does not mean that the storm did not happen or that we are not still dealing with its aftermath. It means that something beautiful and full of light has appeared in the midst of the darkness and clouds. Storm clouds may still hover, but the rainbow provides counterbalance or color, energy and hope." *** We didn't know a head ultrasound was on her agenda for the day. But we were used to all the hospital visitors from all different parts of the hospital coming and going, taking the samples they needed from her, not to be seen again. So it wasn't alarming to us they were going to come in for a head ultrasound (U/S). Poor thing was only 7 days old- but it was just one more thing to check off our list. The whole scan lasted about 15 mins in total and that was it. She barely even woke up for it. Easy and done.   It was early morning an

New Website for my Blog!

Hello All! Blog Update: Thank you so much for following along with our journey! As of this week, I am so excited to be using a brand new site to host my blog! I will no longer be actively posting on this site. BUT there is still so much to talk about!! Please continue to follow along at:  www.ItsSimpleBeKind.com Also!! Please feel free to re-subscribe! I wont be able to transfer your email address over unfortunately. I can absolutely assure you, your emails are only being used to keep you up to date with my blog entries! I can't wait for you to see the new site!! Please feel free to comment, like and share! (all new features) See you over there! xo Nicole Zwiercan

Ode to Cristiano

My son is turning one this month! That sentence has yet to completely sink in. I have been watching him walk around our living room these past two weeks, but not like I usually do - not necessarily on alert to shoo him away from the occasional uncovered outlet, or kick him out the utility room to stop him from eating his occasional snack of cat food- but just watching him. Taking it all in. He has his own very busy agenda these days- and it's absolutely amazing to me. There is no way he will ever know the joy he brings to my life, or the powerful love I have for him- that is until he has his own child himself. He'll never know the happiness I feel when he stumbles up to me with his arms open to give me a hug, or when he aggressively gives me one of his open mouth kisses on my cheek. I could literally sit and watch him learn and play all day long. It's so beautiful to me. And please tell me I am not the only one that will sit in the car and let my child finish his nap?? OK.