Skip to main content

A New Introduction


"Be still, and know that I am God." 
- Psalm 46:10


Well, here we are. Almost a year later! And I'm back!! Not much has changed...except for everything! It's been quite a journey this past year- one that I would like to share...not because I have it all figured out - not even close, but more because if me talking about our journey helps just one person- even if it's myself, then it's all worth it! I guess I will start from the beginning.

Our lives are full of choices, thousands of them from the time we wake up, to the time we go to sleep, and then we do it all over again the next day.  For the most part I would say that I am someone who chooses to look at the bright side of things. I choose to be happy. I choose to celebrate life and all it's beautiful chaos. I may take the long route sometimes, but eventually I end up there. I believe happiness is a choice...and we all have that option. But what happens when things in our lives are chosen for us? BIG things. Things that will be with us forever. What happens when God chooses you for things you didn't ask for?

People tell you kids are hard. It's no secret. They may even share their stories of public tantrums, sleep regression, and of course the pleasures of a teething child. But what about the really hard stuff? The stuff that can take your breath away. The stuff that makes you question all you know about God and your faith...

***

As I came to the close of my reign as Mrs. Illinois we received amazing news that I was pregnant with our second baby! We had been trying for a little bit, so the news made us ecstatic!! Almost instantly I began to get sick. This wasn't anything new for me. I had morning sickness pretty bad with our first, so I just tried to stay focused on the fact we were having another baby and push on! After all, I had a two year old to take care of! At around 8 weeks my husband and I attended a retreat for our church. I was able to pull it together for the weekend but it was so hard! Smells, motion, foods - pretty much everything made me so sick. I remember with my first, my mom told me that morning sickness was a good sign the baby was growing. So I carried that thought with me everywhere I went to help me get though the very long days.

It was a really long drive home. 4 hours! I made it pretty much the whole way without having to pull over- I was so proud! I decided to take a nap to pass the time. I woke up with terrible stomach cramps. I could barely  sit up. I knew something wasn't right. Chris wanted to stop so I could run into the bathroom, but we were only a few minutes from home so I decided to hold off. When we got home I ran up stairs to the bathroom. I will never forget the feeling I had. It was like my heart fell out of my chest. I was numb. There was so much blood. I was absolutely horrified. In a panic I opened the door, I yelled for Chris in tears- he came running to me and we just stared. My mom happened to be there watching my son, she told us to get to the ER asap, but I knew that much blood could only mean one thing.

We sat in the ER waiting room for hours. It was awful. Why wasn't anyone helping me?? Didn't they know how scary this was? I remember looking around the room, watching people go about their business and realizing the world does not stop for our tragedies. What was happening to us was going on without anyone even noticing. I felt so completely helpless. I felt like I was in a slow motion dream. We sat. And prayed. And sat. And prayed. We were joined by our friends from church in the busy waiting room. My first reaction was to tell them not to come. To leave me to feel my pain and feel sad in my own little corner. You see up to this point, I had tried to do things all on my own. Fight my battles alone, in the privacy of my own despair. What would people think if they saw me this sad, this weak, this vulnerable? Sometimes things happen that make you realize you can't do it on your own. You need Him and you need the support of others. This was one of those times... with many more to follow.

Eventually we were sent home with a single piece of paper that had instructions with what to look for during a miscarriage, and pretty much told there was nothing they could do. I don't think I believed them. Maybe I was in denial, or maybe it was my mommy intuition. What we also knew from the ultra sound taken in the ER was that our little peanut DID have a heart beat. To us, that meant we still had hope. Very high hopes. We also knew that we serve a very faithful God. For the first time in my life I truly realized all of our plans were now in His hands.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledge the Storm, but Celebrate the Rainbow

"It is understood that the beauty of a rainbow does not negate the ravages of the storm; when a rainbow appears, it does not mean that the storm did not happen or that we are not still dealing with its aftermath. It means that something beautiful and full of light has appeared in the midst of the darkness and clouds. Storm clouds may still hover, but the rainbow provides counterbalance or color, energy and hope." *** We didn't know a head ultrasound was on her agenda for the day. But we were used to all the hospital visitors from all different parts of the hospital coming and going, taking the samples they needed from her, not to be seen again. So it wasn't alarming to us they were going to come in for a head ultrasound (U/S). Poor thing was only 7 days old- but it was just one more thing to check off our list. The whole scan lasted about 15 mins in total and that was it. She barely even woke up for it. Easy and done.   It was early morning an

New Website for my Blog!

Hello All! Blog Update: Thank you so much for following along with our journey! As of this week, I am so excited to be using a brand new site to host my blog! I will no longer be actively posting on this site. BUT there is still so much to talk about!! Please continue to follow along at:  www.ItsSimpleBeKind.com Also!! Please feel free to re-subscribe! I wont be able to transfer your email address over unfortunately. I can absolutely assure you, your emails are only being used to keep you up to date with my blog entries! I can't wait for you to see the new site!! Please feel free to comment, like and share! (all new features) See you over there! xo Nicole Zwiercan

Ode to Cristiano

My son is turning one this month! That sentence has yet to completely sink in. I have been watching him walk around our living room these past two weeks, but not like I usually do - not necessarily on alert to shoo him away from the occasional uncovered outlet, or kick him out the utility room to stop him from eating his occasional snack of cat food- but just watching him. Taking it all in. He has his own very busy agenda these days- and it's absolutely amazing to me. There is no way he will ever know the joy he brings to my life, or the powerful love I have for him- that is until he has his own child himself. He'll never know the happiness I feel when he stumbles up to me with his arms open to give me a hug, or when he aggressively gives me one of his open mouth kisses on my cheek. I could literally sit and watch him learn and play all day long. It's so beautiful to me. And please tell me I am not the only one that will sit in the car and let my child finish his nap?? OK.