Skip to main content

Back to School!

I absolutely LOVE seeing my Facebook feed flooded with all of your children's “first day of school” photos. They are so happy, proud, and excited.  I think to myself:  “Wow, I remember my first day of school with their mom or dad!! Wasn’t that just 5 years ago?? OK maybe maybe it was more like 25 years ago...but who's counting?  We all have such high hopes as we send our children off to begin a life long journey of learning.  I would imagine no one sends their kid to school and thinks, “I hope he has a hard time making friends this year.” In fact, we all hope the exact opposite: “I hope my kids have fun today,” “I hope they like their teacher!” or “I wonder what subjects my kids will love”  maybe even “I’m pretty sure my son will be homecoming king by the end of the week." You get the idea. :)
 As I personally reflect on future hopes for my son, I would like to add "I hope my son is a good friend." I hope he gives others that are different from him a chance. I hope he extends a hand to a child that may not have such an easy time making friends. I hope he is strong enough to be that kid to stand alone, if needed, to do what is right. Wouldn’t it be an interesting twist if we, as parents, were the ones holding up first day of school signs with our wishes for the year? “Please be a friend to my son.” “Please be kind to my daughter.” “My kid can be shy- but please give him a chance.” “I couldn’t afford new shoes this year, but please see past that, he’s a really great kid."  In reality, ANYONE can be the target of bullying- it can be as simple as your child being at the wrong place at the wrong time. So what can we do?? If you are anything like me I have a pretty major Mama Bear reaction. My goal is to protect my son at all costs. How will I ever cope when he is off being independent, without me?!?!  OK. I just had heart palpitations… Ugh, the mere thought of your child being the target of bullying is enough to make even the calmest of parents channel an inner “beast mode.”  It's true, when your kids are off on their own they will do, what they do.  That's why I feel an open line of communication is the best gift you can give your child.  It’s important to have conversations and ask questions. Get involved.   Be non-judgmental if YOUR child is the one doing the pushing around- It's ok, we all make mistakes! Be ready to explain WHY their actions or words can be hurtful to others. Bullying is often a repetitive pattern- children who are bullied, are often bullies themselves. Education is our best tool. I want to stress the point of my blog is NOT to tell you how to raise your child- trust me, I’m on a HUGE learning curve myself - I mean, my child eats paper! (More on that later). My goal here is to raise awareness. To spark an interest. To make you stop and think, “Have I taught my child to be KIND?” It’s a very simple start.

This was me, about to start kindergarten in 1987!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledge the Storm, but Celebrate the Rainbow

"It is understood that the beauty of a rainbow does not negate the ravages of the storm; when a rainbow appears, it does not mean that the storm did not happen or that we are not still dealing with its aftermath. It means that something beautiful and full of light has appeared in the midst of the darkness and clouds. Storm clouds may still hover, but the rainbow provides counterbalance or color, energy and hope." *** We didn't know a head ultrasound was on her agenda for the day. But we were used to all the hospital visitors from all different parts of the hospital coming and going, taking the samples they needed from her, not to be seen again. So it wasn't alarming to us they were going to come in for a head ultrasound (U/S). Poor thing was only 7 days old- but it was just one more thing to check off our list. The whole scan lasted about 15 mins in total and that was it. She barely even woke up for it. Easy and done.   It was early morning an

New Website for my Blog!

Hello All! Blog Update: Thank you so much for following along with our journey! As of this week, I am so excited to be using a brand new site to host my blog! I will no longer be actively posting on this site. BUT there is still so much to talk about!! Please continue to follow along at:  www.ItsSimpleBeKind.com Also!! Please feel free to re-subscribe! I wont be able to transfer your email address over unfortunately. I can absolutely assure you, your emails are only being used to keep you up to date with my blog entries! I can't wait for you to see the new site!! Please feel free to comment, like and share! (all new features) See you over there! xo Nicole Zwiercan

Ode to Cristiano

My son is turning one this month! That sentence has yet to completely sink in. I have been watching him walk around our living room these past two weeks, but not like I usually do - not necessarily on alert to shoo him away from the occasional uncovered outlet, or kick him out the utility room to stop him from eating his occasional snack of cat food- but just watching him. Taking it all in. He has his own very busy agenda these days- and it's absolutely amazing to me. There is no way he will ever know the joy he brings to my life, or the powerful love I have for him- that is until he has his own child himself. He'll never know the happiness I feel when he stumbles up to me with his arms open to give me a hug, or when he aggressively gives me one of his open mouth kisses on my cheek. I could literally sit and watch him learn and play all day long. It's so beautiful to me. And please tell me I am not the only one that will sit in the car and let my child finish his nap?? OK.